Hotel L'Escale Plage* en corse, balagne algajola
 
   
   
 
Hotel, chambre, aregno, plage        
Web@gence

Green Key Label
       


Before 1852, Algajola was the smallest community in Corsica in terms of surface area.
It was enlarged to the west to take in part of "Occi", which belonged to the town of Lumio.




Dominating the village, the first habitats correspond to the prehistoric and protohistoric sites of Tepina-Cocani and to the site of mount Saint-Joseph where a ruined chapel still remains (no excavations have been carried out to date).
The port of "San Damianu" (little port of Algajola) was once home to a Roman port.
Tradition has it that Saint Paul docked here on his way back from Spain. "San Damianu" was abandoned from the 6th to the 12th century, when a tower was built for the benefit of fishermen and merchants.
In around 1475, the place was given a boost under the influence of the "Maôna" association administrated by Lomellino, then by the Office of "San Giorgio".
The first buildings were erected for the use of the "Luogotenente del Governatore":
the fortress and the "Palazzo Publico"
The church was extended in around 1603, a period in which the village of Algajola underwent great expansion.
Algajola was a strategic site for the development of farmland as well as a sea terminal, and controlled all the Podestats of the piéves of Balagne.
Its urban development took place from the second half of the 16th to the beginning of the 17th century.
It was the second port in Corsica from 1621-1627!
"San Giorgio\ Cathedral (15th century) was the residence of the bishop Alessandro Sauli from 1572 to 1576.
It houses a "Descent from the Cross" attributed to Guercino (17th century), a classified Historic Monument since 2004.
Various warehouses were located in Algajola, which was devastated and burnt down by the "Turchi" who came from "Bizerte ed Algieri" on 27 July 1643.
Algajola castle (built on the site of the ancient Lomellino tower) has a granite terrace and staircase leading to the dungeons (known as "gabbies", hence the nickname for Algajola, "gabiolla").
Privately owned today, it was the residence of the "Luogotente" responsible for administering Balagne under Genoese rule until 1764.
Source : Gjacumu Maria Martelli d'Algajola.
Top of page
© 2000-2018, all rights reserved, Hotel in Corsica - L'Escale Plage*   -   Photos are non-contractual   -   Sales terms and conditions